Recap of the last few months
There have been some exciting news in the last few months in our lab, even though we have kept working from home! Some of these are:
- We have published a few papers, both reviews and original research! Check out our contributions to the fields of melanoma research models and allele-specific expression, as well as our collaboration with Dr Carlos Córdova on identifying the genetic cause of a rare genetic disorder! More info in Publications.
- Our first PhD student, Raúl Ossio Vela, graduated with honours in November! Also, more recently, our BSc student Rebeca Olvera León graduated with a superb thesis on the genetic causes of familial melanoma. She is continuing her studies at the University of Cambridge and the Wellcome Sanger Institute! Congratulations to both of them for a successful culmination of studies.
- We got a new grant! We are very thankful to the Melanoma Research Alliance for funding us through a PIlot Award. This will allow us to recruit a new member of the team to explore the role of a number of candidate genes on the ability of acral melanoma tumours to metastasise! We are very excited to be working with Dr Patrícia Possik (Brazilian National Cancer Institute) and Dr David J Adams (Wellcome Sanger Institute) to undertake this project.
- We have welcomed a number of new students that have been working with us remotely: Ariel Pulido and César Aspiros from the Undergraduate Program in Genomics (LCGEJ-UNAM), Rodolfo Arriaga, Luisa Galicia, Mayra López and Sebastián Carrillo. Welcome! We hope to be able to get to know you in person one day 🙂
- We have been taking part in online conferences and talks, including the European Melanoma Workshop, the meetings of the Melanoma Genetics Consortium, and the American Association for Cancer Research.
Times are still challenging, and we are proceeding a bit more slowly with our research given the restrictions still in place. However, we are hopeful that we will be able to pick up the pace soon! Keep an eye open for future job postings, preprints and talks!